Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Praise God for Crutches!

Have any of you ever heard derogatory terms used for the Christian life such as:
"Oh, they are living in their safe little bubble!"?
or
"You are just using your religion as a crutch!"?

So often we rush to defend ourselves, talking about how those are the worlds perceptions but it isn't really true, and trying to save face in front of the lost.

But I've been doing some thinking.

Those things are true. So why are we so quick to deny them?

After all, I do live in a "safe bubble"! I am not completely isolated from the world, but I am safe and protected from harmful influences by my Lord, and I am separate from the world and all it's sin and heartache!

The point of my "bubble" isn't to keep me in, but to keep evil out! And it doesn't mean I can't communicate and be friendly with the outside world! In fact, I would love to invite anyone reading to join me in my bubble, it's a fabulous, peaceful place to be!


Jesus truly is my crutch. I wouldn't have it any other way. If anyone says that the reason I need religion is because I'm not strong enough to stand on my own two feet? They are absolutely right.
I am crippled because of my sin: we all are. The ONLY way that I can stand and live a full life is if I lean wholly on that 'crutch' that I've found in Jesus Christ!
With all the depression, suicide, emptiness, and heartache in this world, do people really still believe that we are fine on our own? That we don't need anything? I'm SO thankful that I've found a way to stand!!! And by the grace of God I will continue to stand, not choosing to grope around on the floor because of my own pride in refusing the ever necessary crutch.
How foolish would it be of me to try and walk on a broken leg unaided, making it worse and worse, when I had a crutch available to help me?
That's the foolishness of the world.

So I challenge you, when you are accused of your own weakness in accepting Christ, agree! We are weak. We do need help. We can't make it on our own! So let's stop fighting the worlds attacks, and instead point them to God, showing how different things are from His point of view.

Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise. For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God.  I Corinthians 3:18, 19a

1 comment:

  1. You are absolutley right Bay, great insight. I needed that today! I am so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete