Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Only One That's True~


 So.... I used to really enjoy writing poetry. But I haven't done it in fooooreeeeveeeeer. So today I thought I'd try my hand at it once again. Here is my *quite* rusty attempt, it's something God has had on my heart for a while now!
The Only One That's True
My heart is afraid
To open to you,
For if you reject me
Then what will I do?
If you turn me away
Oh the heartache inside,
No, I think it's much better
To run and to hide.
It's happened before,
I've let someone in,
And they battered my heart
Left me broken within.
It takes so much courage
To not turn away,
And it seems so much safer
When I choose not to stay.
But what I don't realize
Is that you aren't the same
As the ones who've hurt me,
Who've left as they came.
You're different. You're holy.
And the love you have for me
Will always be constant,
So there's no need to flee.
The ones who have hurt me
Are nothing like you,
They're sinners and selfish:
O Lord, I am too!
Just as they've betrayed me
And broken my heart,
That's what I've done to you
Who loved me from the start!
Each time that I've sinned
Each time I ran away,
You lovingly forgave me
And pled with me to stay.
And though I've not been constant,
And strayed away from you,
You're still my hearts one safe place,
The only one that's true.

3 comments:

  1. I love that! I can totally relate to that poem. I finally realized that the walls I put up to people because of rejection were also put up against God. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! It is so comforting to know that no matter how many times I screw up, He doesn't want me to be afraid to come to Him - He is always open and ready to forgive. Love this poem! You should write more!

    ~Erica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much! Your comments are super encouraging =) Our God is so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete