Monday, February 28, 2011

My Snowboarding Post

So, one of my favoritist things to do in the whole wide world is going snowboarding. Many people who know me find that hard to believe! (It could have something to do with the fact that I'm not exactly athletic..... or coordinated.....) but it's true, I adore it. I think it could partially be because I've found an outdoor activity that I am actually somewhat competent at, but I know that's not all there is to it! I love all the snow, and being in the mountains, it doesn't matter what resort you are at, it's going to be beautiful! I love the peace of it, especially when you are on a quiet run and there isn't anybody nearby and its just the sound of your wind and your board cutting across the snow.... *Sigh* I also love Love LOVE the speed. I'm pretty big into speed, actually, which can be difficult because I'm also a chicken! But it's worth the occasional fall to be gliding down the slope like that. Plus snowboarding is a great way to hang out with friends. I love huddling together on the ski lift, laughing and talking and singing and yelling at people below us.... it's all part of the experience. The first time I went boarding...... didn't go well. I went with one friend who had never gone, one who had gone once, and a "teacher" who, while meaning well, didn't really have the time or means to fully explain such concepts as, oh, stopping, turning..... things like that. I only went down two or three times, on the pitiful little green, and I was ready to call it quits. I honestly planned on never going again! A year went by, and our youth group had its next annual ski day coming up. I was willing to consider going to sit in the lodge, but no way was I going to get back on that crazy thing. But I had one insistent friend, who was sure I would like it. I was quite sure he was out of his mind, but when he helped make all the arrangements for me to go and offered to teach me..... he pretty much left me no choice! And I wasn't very happy about it, truth be told! But I went. And I learned. And...... I LOVED it! (Moral of this story: never, NEVER only go snowboarding one time before quitting.) So, I've gone, oh, seven or eight times now? And I love it more every time I do it. This last time I finally figured out how to carve. (Using both the heel edge and the toe edge of your board.) I have to say, my stubbornness seems to know no bounds. This same friend told me that I should try it. That I would like it. That I would go faster but not fall more. That I would be less sore. But nooooooo. I was perfectly happy feathering on my heel edge all day! (And not being able to walk for a week afterward because my legs hurt so bad!) But now, finally, when I got around to it, I tried carving..... and while it pains me to admit it, he was right. I love it! So glad I finally learned. So I spent the day carving and flying and falling and laughing with my best friend, and it was amazing! The only downside to the day was that her snowboard, (borrowed from a friend) got stolen at the end of the day! Isn't that awful??? I was kind of hoping I would see someone with it so I could have my cousin and his friend tackle him on the slope..... hehe. But other than that ridiculously awful incident, it was a pretty awesome day! AND I've already gotten to go twice this season, tying my record! (As much as I love it, time and money don't allow me to go very often.) I own my own board and bindings, but I still have to rent boots. So, if anyone wants to give me a pair of size 9's, be my guest! I haven't worn a helmet up to this point, but with my current record of rightness as far as snowboarding goes..... I should probably listen to people and change that. I don't have a picture of my board, but I'll show you the board I'd like to have someday!
Unfortunately you can't see it very well, but it's edged in pink, and the front is white with grey outlines of princesses and castles and all sorts of lovely things like that. I promise it's not as childish as it sounds! It's a Burton Lux, and it looks pretty sweet, if I do say so myself!
And somewhat fitting for.....

The Princess

3 comments:

  1. I've never been snowboarding, but I'm with you in the thrill of speed! *love it!*

    I don't really know why I've never been boarding aside from the expense of it. Maybe I'm scared. A guy I had a crush on was almost killed in a snowboarding accident. LOL That was forever ago and I didn't even know him, so that shouldn't make a difference, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should *definitely* go for it!!! Harmony and I will teach you =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that I'm more scared now than I was before! lol I'm kidding. You guys would be great teachers. =)

    ReplyDelete