Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Oh Say Can You Read.....

So, did anyone watch the super bowl? I was going for the Steelers and I have to admit that I wasn't very happy with the outcome. Some of my family all got together after church and watched the game. (recorded) We all cringed when the national anthem started. Is there a single famous person who can sing that song by matching each word up with one note and sticking to it? I'm beginning to highly doubt it. I personally found Christina Aguilera's version almost painful, it didn't seem like she was even trying to be musically pleasant. Or lyrically accurate, apparently! I have to admit that I didn't notice the slip up the first time I watched the game. (I was kind of trying not to listen) But when I heard about it I had to go to Youtube and hear it for myself. And there it was! Is that some kind of a joke? I mean, if you were singing the song that is THE single most important song to our nation, our national anthem, before THE biggest sporting event in the country, don't you think you would at least want to get the words right?!? It's ridiculous!!! The lyrics aren't all that hard to remember.
Oh say can you see,
By the dawns early light,
What so proudly we hailed,
At the twilight's last gleaming.
Whose broad stripes and bright stars,
Through the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched,
Were so gallantly streaming.
And the rockets red glare,
The bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night
That our flag was still there.
Oh say does that star spangled banner yet wave,
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?
Ok, I just typed that from memory, and while I did have to change one "n" to an "f" (I always replace fight with night! >=/) I think I pretty much got it. And that's just off the top of my head, without any prior preparation. Did Ms. Aguilera even try to read the words before she got up there?!? She replaced a whole phrase! Did they only tell her she was singing five minutes beforehand??? Here is a video of her performance.
Don't these people have ANY respect for our nation? Huh, stupid question. Of course not. I do see some humor in it though. Do you see the faces of the players they show right after she fails? It's pretty funny! What do you think? Slip of the tongue of flagrant disrespect? I'd like to hear!

Also, here are some other famous people singing our national anthem. What do you think, who means it and who couldn't care less?

Beyonce

Dixie Chicks (yuck)

Carrie Underwood

Whitney Houston

Kelly Clarkson

Faith Hill

David Archuleta

Josh Groban

Till Next Time.....

The Princess 


No comments:

Post a Comment